Science Europe is an association of European Research Funding Organisations (RFO) and Research Performing Organisations (RPO), based in Brussels. Its founding General Assembly took place in Berlin in October 2011.
Science Europe promotes the collective interests of the Research Funding and Research Performing Organisations of Europe. It supports its Member Organisations in their efforts to foster European research. It will strengthen the European Research Area (ERA) through its direct engagement with key partners. In doing so it will be informed by direct representation of all scientific communities in its reflections on policies, priorities and strategies.
It works and partners with other entities such as the European Universities, the European Academies, the European Scientific Intergovernmental Organisations and the European Commission to develop a coherent and inclusive ERA. In its structures and actions it ensures that it takes into consideration the interests and opinions of researchers in all European research systems.
Science Europe will
- Support the work of its Member Organisations and promote co-operation between them both at policy and activity level;
- Establish the scientific community as a third voice in the ERA, together with national government and the European Commission;
- Act, with the interests and expert views of researchers as a guide, to maximise the input of the Member Organisations in the development of the ERA in conjunction with the European Commission;
- Work with other European organisations to ensure that a broad based forum is established to inform discussions on ERA and related policy matters;
- Provide a platform for dialogue with national ministers of research;
- Co-operate with non-European research organisations; and
- Deliver a coherent plan of action to ensure that publicly funded research and innovation in Europe has the maximum impact, contributing to the development of the economy and providing solutions to deliver societal benefit.
Job of the week
- Putin steps up drive to kill sanctions amid signs of EU disunity
- Commission and IMF clash over influence of politics over bailout programmes
- SDG report: Wealthy countries are failing their poorer partners
- French right calls for detention without trial for potential terrorists
- Internal auditor hits out at IMF handling of Greece bailout