Products Policy Officer and Campaigner
WE'RE HIRING! Products Policy Officer and Campaigner for Zero Waste Europe
The mission of Zero Waste Europe (ZWE) is to empower communities to redesign our relationship with resources. We campaign for zero waste strategies in Europe and beyond, and support local groups and change agents who have the potential to drive change in their region. Currently, ZWE is the only pan-European organization specializing in waste issues from prevention to disposal and from local to European levels.
ZWE was created in late 2013 in the Netherlands as an independent, nonprofit foundation with aims to:
- Promote Zero Waste strategies in Europe and elsewhere
- Act as a catalyst for European good practices in the field of circular economy, waste and resources
- Empower local groups to develop community-based strategies for the prevention, reduction, separation, recycling, and composting of waste
- Promote a responsible treatment of waste and prevention of non-sustainable solutions such as landfilling and incineration
- Increase awareness about the health effects of the current economy of waste disposal, and promote non-toxic alternatives
- Promote environmental and social justice
About the Break Free from Plastic movement
The Break Free from Plastic movement brings together an international coalition of NGOs to stop plastic pollution – and Zero Waste Europe is host to the European network. The vision of Break Free from Plastic is a world where the land, sky, oceans, and water is home to an abundance of life, not an abundance of plastic, and where the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat is free of toxic by-products of plastic pollution. In this world the principles of environmental justice, social justice, public health, and human rights lead government policy, not the demands of elites and corporations. This is a future we believe in and are creating together.To know more please visit: http://breakfreefromplastic.org/
You are an inspiring, versatile and dynamic person capable of seing the big picture whilst focusing on pulling the necessary levers to create change. You enjoy combining policy work with running campaigns.
You have experience in product design and/or product policy and a strong motivation to fight plastic pollution and bad design in general. You excel at personal relations, you are capable of running different tasks simultaneously and like working in an international environment.
About the role
ZWE’s product policy officer and campaigner will be responsible for
- Leading the work of ZWE related to EU product policy
- Participate in the European Break Free from Plastic coalition
- Supporting and liaise with the membership of ZWE in the accomplishment of the strategic goals of the network
- Participating in the discussions and implementation of the communication strategy of the organization
- Networking with EU institutions, BreakFreeFromPlastics European coalition, ZWE members and with other NGOs
- Experience with local organizing and campaigning
- Experience in facilitation of meetings and strategic planning processes
- Experience with campaigning on environmental issues, specifically on waste
- Experience campaigning on EU environmental policy issues
Knowledge, skills and understanding
- Strong research and information gathering skills with resourcefulness in strategic planning
- Familiarity with EU and national product and/or environmental policy
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English
- Demonstrated experience in working with people from different cultures and nationalities in a way that facilitates conflict resolution and values community wisdom
- Highly computer literate, and comfortable with new media technologies
- Good insight in functioning of the EU policy-making
- Other languages apart from English
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Good listener
- Self motivated, focused, and organized
- Commitment to accuracy, efficiency and a high standard of work
- Ability and willingness to use initiative and take decisions, but also a commitment to team work
- A strong commitment to Zero Waste Europe’s mission, values and network structures
- Willingness to work evening and weekends from time to time, as required
Location, Compensation and Work Environment
This is a full-time position and will be based in Brussels.
We offer a competitive salary plus benefits, including lunch vouchers, vacation, maternity/paternity leave, and other similar employment protections. Salary will be negotiated according to local standards and experience.
We are committed in supporting one another's work in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, and look forward to welcome the successful candidate to the team and our network of members.
Equal Employment opportunity
ZWE is committed to the principle of Equal Employment Opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job.
Please send your CV and motivation letter with references to firstname.lastname@example.org by email -no calls. Position open until filled.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Job of the week
- Austria moves to formally ban Erdogan from campaigning on its soil
- Nord Stream 2 official: We see a lot of smokescreens thrown around
- Irish referendum could allow voting abroad, following 23 EU countries
- French farmers seek expert advice on going digital
- Recyclables must be collected separately for circular economy to succeed, says panel