VACANCY NOTICE FOR THE POST
to the Bio-Based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU)
Reference (to be quoted in all your communication regarding this post):
Temporary Agent – AST2
The Bio-based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU) is a public-private partnership between the European Commission and the Bio-based Industry Consortium (BIC). The BBI JU is established in Brussels under European Union law for a period up to 31.12.2024. The Bio-based Industries JU implements a Joint Technology Initiative aimed at promoting investment in the development of a sustainable bio-based industry sector in Europe.
The objective of the Joint Technology Initiative on Bio-based Industries is to implement a research and innovation programme in Europe that assesses the feasibility of the establishment of sustainable and competitive bio-based value chains. These activities will be carried out through collaboration between stakeholders from the research community along entire bio-based value chains, including primary production, processing industries and end-users. The BBI JU encourages the participation of SMEs to ensure their full involvement in the programme.
The BBI JU will organise competitive calls for proposals to support and facilitate research, innovation and deployment activities, which will play an essential role in achieving its objectives. Close synergies with other European Union policies in areas such as industrial competitiveness and SMEs, agriculture, energy and environment, and with the European Structural and Investment Funds or Rural Development related actions will be developed.
The Joint Technology Initiative will engage up to € 3.7 billion for the period 2014 – 2024.
The working language of the BBI JU is English.
For further information, please consult the following website: www.bbi-europe.eu.
1. OVERALL PURPOSE
The Communication Assistant will support the Communication team by performing the tasks mentioned below.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communication Assistant duties will include:
- support the preparation & execution of key external stakeholder events, exhibitions, press briefings, conferences and events;
- support the creation and maintenance of contact databases (press, stakeholders, etc);
- assist in preparing, producing and editing printed and online publications including brochures, the BBI JU newsletter, bulletins, leaflets, powerpoints, posters, adverts and banners and other material as required;
- assist in development and management of content on the BBI JU’s website, including members’ areas and the BBI JU intranet;
- support the Communications Officer in preparing/following up tenders for procurement of communications-related services and assisting with the management of the subsequent framework contracts;
- assist with the graphic design and layout elements of BBI JU communications materials and liaise with suppliers for the production elements;
- assist with organisation of photo sessions and audiovisual coverage of events (conferences, seminars), liaising with contractors, dealing with relevant logistics and security issues, managing the multimedia library;
- assist the Communication team to manage press and media relations including distribution of press releases and assisting with regular media monitoring and preparation of reports;
- follow up the Communication’s budget lines for “public relation/communication activities". Preparing financial commitments, order forms, and subsequent checking of invoicing and administrative follow-up;
- act as Operational Initiating Agent.
Operational and administrative support:
- provide secretarial support and assistance to the Communication team as required (including:
- draft documents (agendas, briefings, reports, travel arrangements for speakers etc.)
- demonstrating a high level of independence);
- provide support onsite at meetings, seminars and conferences, as required;
- provide support for the preparation of reports and analysis of statistics;
- retrieving and storing information; registering, filing and archiving documents ;
- providing administrative and logistical support in the performance of the BBI JU activities;
- ensure backup function;
- undertake additional tasks as required in the interests of the service.
2. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Candidates will be considered for the selection phase on the basis of the following criteria to be fulfilled by the closing date for applications.
2.1. General conditions
- Be a national of a Member State of the European Union;
- Be entitled to his or her full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved;
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the official EU languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages to the extent necessary for the performance of their duties (candidates are invited to specify in their CV any language certificates they have obtained which can demonstrate their language skills);
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post*.
- Have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma;
- Have a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post -secondary
education and appropriate professional experience of at least 3 years.
2.3 Professional experience
Candidates must have, at the closing date for applications, professional experience of at least 3 years (in addition to the 3 years mentioned under ‘Education’) in a field relevant to this position.
3. SELECTION CRITERIA
Candidates selected on the basis of the above eligibility criteria will then be evaluated according to the following selection criteria:
- at least 3 years of proven professional experience in the field linked to the tasks listed in section 1;
- suitability to perform the tasks listed above;
- very good command of oral and written English (native English speakers will be required to demonstrate the ability to work in a second language at the interview stage);
- excellent organisational and problem solving skills;
- ability to work in autonomous way and show proactive attitude;
- service-oriented, results-driven and flexible attitude;
- cooperative and supportive team player;
- excellent knowledge of standard computer applications (Word, Excel, Acess, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, etc).;
- experience of managing social media including posts & monitoring (Twitter, Linked In, Mobile App, etc.);
- experience of graphic design/publishing IT tools (Publisher, Adobe CS, etc.);
- relevant experience in providing secretarial and administrative support;
- ability to work well under pressure and to respond quickly to new demands;
- flexibility to perform a range of different tasks simultaneously and ability to set priorities;
- experience in organising high-level meetings/conferences and handling VIPs;
- professional experience in working in a multicultural, international and multidisciplinary environment;
- strong sense of responsibility, commitment and co-operation.
- previous professional experience as Communication Assistant;
- knowledge of ABAC;
- knowledge and experience about the European institutions;
- knowledge of networking and partnering IT tools.
Failure to comply with the eligibility and essential selection criteria will result in a disqualification of the applicant concerned.
4. INDEPENDENCE AND DECLARATION OF INTERESTS
The successful candidate will be required to make a declaration of commitment to act independently in the public interest and to make a declaration in relation to interests which might be considered prejudicial to his/her independence. Candidates must confirm their willingness to do so in their application.
5. SELECTION PROCEDURE
A Selection Board is nominated by the Appointing Authority of the BBI JU. After applications are screened the Selection Board will, based on elements of the applications, draw up a shortlist of candidates to be invited for an interview. These candidates will also sit a written test related to the field of the post. Following this, the Selection Board will establish a reserve list of suitable candidates to be approved by the Executive Director.
Candidates are reminded that the different selection committees’ works are confidential. It is forbiddenfor candidates to make direct or indirect contact with their members or to ask anybody else to do so on their behalf.
6. APPOINTMENT AND RESERVE LIST
The Executive Director of the Joint Undertaking will select the successful candidate and offer the post.
The Executive Director may decide to interview the candidates before establishment of the reserve list and/or appointment.
A binding commitment can only be made after the verification of all conditions and will take the form of a contract signed by the Executive Director.
The reserve list may be used in order to fulfil positions within the BBI JU.
Candidates should note that inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment. Recruitment will be based on availability of posts and budget.
The reserve list for this post will be valid until 31 December 2018 and may be extended at the discretion of the Appointing Authority of the BBI JU.
7. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
The BBI JU, as a Union body, applies a policy of equal opportunities and non-discrimination in accordance with Article 1d of the Staff Regulations***.
8. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The successful candidate will be appointed by the Executive Director of the BBI JU as a temporary agent at grade AST2 for a period of three years.
The successful candidate will be asked to perform nine months of probationary period.
After an evaluation of the post holder’s performance, the contract may be renewed in accordance with the BBI JU legal basis. The period of engagement will not in any case exc eed the lifetime of the BBI JU.
Remuneration will be based on the Union scale of salaries. Pay is subject to Union tax and other deductions laid down in the Staff Regulations. Remuneration is, however, exempt from any national taxation.
The successful applicant who is offered a contract of employment will be graded on entry into service in step 1 or step 2 of the relevant grade, according to the length of his/her professional experience.
The indicative basic monthly salaries of AST2 are:
- Step 1: 3.201,98 €
- Step 2: 3.336,53 €
The place of employment is Brussels, where the JU premises are located.
For any further information on contractual and working conditions, please refer to the Staff Regulations of Officials of the European Communities and its Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities, which is available on the following web page:
9. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
For applications to be valid, candidates must submit an online application via the BBI vacancies portal: https://cloud.bbi.europa.eu/web/vacancies/
Candidates are requested to:
- complete the online application form - to access the right form, candidates should select the vacancy for which they wish to apply;
- upload a letter of motivation;
- upload a Curriculum Vitae (CV) which should include at least 3 references, preferably in the European CV format (see http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
For the letter of motivation and the CV, only Word documents (.doc or .docx) or PDF documents (.pdf) will be accepted. The maximum file size is 2 MB.
IMPORTANT: When applying for more than one position, any new application made by a candidate with the same e-mail address will automatically erase and replace the previous application for that position.
The application will be rejected if the dossier is incomplete.
Candidates are advised to apply using an e-mail address that will remain valid for several months: candidates that will leave their job in the coming months are advised not to use their professional email address.
Supporting documents (e.g. certified copies of degrees/diplomas, references, proof of experience, etc.) should not be sent at this point but must be submitted at a later stage of the procedure if requested.
In order to facilitate the selection process, application documents as well as all communications to candidates concerning this vacancy will be in English.
Application forms sent by e-mail, fax or post will not be accepted.
Candidates are asked to report any potential change of contact details in writing, without delay, to the following e-mail address: email@example.com. Please remember to quote the reference of the vacancy(ies) for which you have applied in all correspondence.
10. CLOSING DATE
Applications must be submitted by 27 March 2017, 23:59 CEST (Central European Summer Time / Brussels time).
The closing date of this vacancy may be prolonged.
Candidates are reminded not to wait until the final days before the closing date of applications’ submission. The BBI JU cannot be held responsible for any last-minute malfunction due to an overflow of the application system.
11. REVIEW AND APPEAL PROCEDURE
A candidate who feels that he/she has been treated incorrectly may ask to have his/her application reconsidered by sending, within 20 calendar days of the date of notification, a request for review via
email to: Recruitment.BBI@BBI.europa.eu. The candidate should quote the number of the selection procedure concerned and address the request to the Chairman of the Selection Board.
The Selection Board will reconsider the application and notify the candidate of its decision within 45 calendar days of receipt of the request.
If the candidate considers that he/she has been adversely affected by a particular decision, he/she can lodge a complaint under Article 90(2) of the Staff Regulations of Officials of the European Communities and the Conditions of employment of other servants of the European Communities (CEOS), at the following address:
BBI Joint Undertaking
White Atrium Building
The complaint must be lodged within 3 months counting from the notification of the decision you wish
If the complaint is rejected the candidate may bring a case under Article 270 of the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union and Article 91 of the Staff Regulations and the CEOS before:
The European Union Civil Service Tribunal
The Appointing Authority does not have the power to amend the assessment decisions of the Selection Board. The Court has consistently held that the wide discretion enjoyed by Selection Boardsis not subject to review by the Court unless rules which govern the proceedings of the Selection Board have been infringed. It is also possible to complain to the European Ombudsman:
1 avenue du Président Robert Schuman – BP 403
F-67001 Strasbourg Cedex
Complaints made to the Ombudsman have no suspense effect on the period laid down in the Articles 90(2) and 91 of the Staff Regulations for lodging, respectively, a complaint or an appeal with the European Union Civil Service Tribunal under Article 270 of the Treaty.
12. PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
The BBI JU will ensure the candidates’ personal data are processed as required by Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18.12.2000 on the protection of
individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data. This applies in particular to the confidentiality and security of such data (Official Journal of the European Community L8 of 12.01.2001). Please note that BBI JU will not return applications to applicants. For more explanations on data protection, please see the annexed privacy statement.
*Before his/her appointment, the candidate shall be medically examined in line with the requirement of Article 12(2)(d) of the Conditions of employment of other servants of the European Communities
**Only study titles that have been awarded in EU Member States or that are subject to the equivalence certificates issued by the authorities in the said Member States shall be taken into consideration.
Job of the week
- Austria moves to formally ban Erdogan from campaigning on its soil
- Nord Stream 2 official: We see a lot of smokescreens thrown around
- Irish referendum could allow voting abroad, following 23 EU countries
- French farmers seek expert advice on going digital
- Recyclables must be collected separately for circular economy to succeed, says panel
28 Mar 2017
29 Mar 2017
05 Apr 2017
06 Apr 2017
06 Apr 2017